Whilst stories of the holocaust continue to appal, remarkable stories of courage and endurance continue to emerge. Journalist Ariana Neumann dives into the secrets of her own father’s past, a story that saw him spending years hiding in plain sight in war torn Berlin; the annihilation of dozens of family members in the Holocaust; and his courageous choice to build anew.
From an innocuous box of papers her father left for her when he died, Ariana has meticulously uncovered the extraordinary truth of his escape from Nazi-occupied Prague. She follows him across Europe and reveals his astonishing choice to assume a fake identity and live out the war undercover, spying for the Allies in Berlin.
Ariana Neumann grew up in Venezuela. She previously worked as a foreign correspondent for Venezuela’s The Daily Journal and her writing has also appeared in The European. Ariana lives in London with her family. When Time Stopped is her first book.
Ariana Neumann will be in conversation with Stewart Collins.
Ariana Neumann (photo: Serena Bolton)
- Ariana Neumann will take live questions from our online audience.
- Literary events are live streamed (with the exception of James Naughtie and Joanna Trollope) and will include Q&A from the online audience.
- During the live literary events, questions may be submitted by typing them into the Q&A box on the Petworth Festival website. Viewers will still be able to watch the event while submitting questions, which will be relayed in real time to the speaker/interviewer. Please note, this may only be done while the event is live.
- If you are unable to watch the live-streamed Literary events, the recording of each Literary event will be available to view online from the following day, using a viewing token, until midnight 7 November.
- Signed copies of books featured will be available from The Petworth Bookshop, The Old Bakery, Golden Square, Petworth. Tel: 01798 342082 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org